Walter Renne, D.M.D. Professor
Medical University Of South Carolina
College of Dental Medicine
Avenue Charleston, SC 29425 (843) 792-2503 email@example.com
August 12, 1981 York Town , NY
College of Charleston
B.S Biology Major magna cum laude
Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine
First Honor Graduate
State of South Carolina (License #4491 – Active) FACULTY APPOINTMENTS
Birth Date: Birthplace: Citizenship:
Rank : 2004-2008
2008-present Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine
Associate Professor; Department of Oral Rehabilitation Director of CAD/CAM technology
A. TEACHING EXPERIENCE Dental Curriculum Activity
2013-present 2016-2018 2018-2020
Fixed Prosthodontics III (CAD/CAM Technologies)
Oral Rehabilitation Clinic
Fixed Prosthodontics I
Assistant Dean of Innovation and Digital Dentistry
2020-2021 Assistant Director Digital Dentistry Residency
2021-present CoFounder The MOD Institute
2012: American Student Dental Association Outstanding Clinical Professor
2013: American Student Dental Association Outstanding Clinical Professor
2013: American College of Dentists Carolina Section Outstanding Faculty Award 2013: American Student Dental Association Outstanding Clinical Professor
2013: American Student Dental Association Outstanding Pre-clinical Professor 2014: American Student Dental Association Outstanding Clinical Professor
2014: American Student Dental Association Outstanding Pre-clinical Professor 2014: American College of Dentists Carolina Section Outstanding Faculty Award 2015: American College of Dentists Carolina Section Outstanding Faculty Award 2016: American Student Dental Association Outstanding Clinical Professor Award 2017: American Student Dental Association Outstanding Clinical Professor Award 2018: American College of Dentists Carolina Section Outstanding Faculty Award 2018: Consistently high performing effective faculty recognition:.”Based on the last five years of data, you consistently perform very high on this index of teaching effectiveness”
B. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Instructor: Medical University of South Carolina; Charleston, SC College of Dental Medicine – Full time faculty Tenure Track, Dental Faculty Practice Active General Practitioner
Assistant Professor: Medical University of South Carolina; Charleston, SC College of Dental Medicine – Full time faculty Tenure Track, Dental Faculty Practice Active General Practitioner
Associate Professor: Medical University of South Carolina; Charleston, SC College of Dental Medicine – Full time faculty Tenure Track, Dental Faculty Practice Active General Practitioner
Exocad Training to Undergraduate dental students
Director of the Division of Digital Dentistry
Professor and Assistant Dean of Innovation and Digital Dentistry
Director of education The MOD Institute
Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
1. Mennito AS, Renne WG. A Simplified Technique for Restoring Interproximal Root Surface lesions. Operative Dentistry 2012, 37(2):211-215.
2. Hamil L, Renne W, “Nick Raleigh” case presentation; Southeast Case Research Association Journal. 2012.
3. WalterRenne,DMD,SauelT.McGill,DMD,KaitlynVanSickleForshee,Michael R. DeFee and Anthony S. Mennito, DMD Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry Comparison of Marginal Gap Between Two Chairside CAD/CAM Systems Using the Replica Technique.
- Renne WG. E4D Chairside CAD/CAM Restoration: Case Presentations and Lessons Learned. International CE Magazine of Digital Dentistry North America. 2012, 1(1).
- RenneWG,McGillST,VanSickle-ForsheeK,MenitoAS.PredictingMarginalFit of All-Ceramic Restorations on Preparations with Common Errors. J Prosthet Dent 2012, 108(5):310-315.
- RenneWG,McGillST,MennitoAS,WolfBJ,MarlowNM,ShaftmanS,Holmes JR. E4D Compare Software: An Alternative to Faculty Grading in Dental Education. J Dent Educ 2013, 77:168-175.
- Renne WG. Restoring Implants Using LithiumDisilicate, CAD/CAM Fabricated Restoration International CE Magazine of Digital Dentistry North America. 2013, 3(1).
- RenneWG.DMD,AssistantProfessor.InfluenceofAdhesiveApplication Methods and Rebonding Agent Application on Sealing Effectiveness of All-in-one Self-Etching Adhesives 1. 15 May 2013 JERD. (Commentary)
- HamilL,RenneW,MennitoA.S.,VuthiganonJ,StudentOptionsofPreparations Assessment with E4D Compare Software Versus Traditional Methods, J Dent Educ. 2014 Oct; 78(10):1424-31.
10.Renne WG. Chairside CAD/AM technology: a positive “Disruption: in dentistry. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2014 Feb; 35 (2): 126-7.
11. Renne, W.G., Chairside CAD/CAM Technology, February 2014 Vol 35 (2) Compendium. (Guest Editor)
12. Sabatini C, Mennito A.S., Wolf BJ, Pahsley DH, Renne WG. Incorporation of bactericidal polyacrylic acid modified copper iodide particles into adhesive resins. J Dent. 2015 May; 43(5):546-55. Doi: 10.1016/j.dent.2015.02.012.Epub 2015 Feb 27.
13. Renne W1, Wolf B2, Kessler R1, McPherson K1, Mennito AS1.Evaluation of
the Marginal Fit of CAD/
CAM Crowns Fabricated Using Two Different ChairsideCAD/CAM Systems on Preparations of Varying Quality.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2015 Jul- Aug;27(4):194-202. doi: 10.1111/jerd.12148. Epub 2015 Jul 14.
14. McPherson K, Mennito A.S., Renne W.G., Vuthiganon J, Utilizing Self- Assessment Software to Evaluate Student Wax-ups in Dental Morphology. Journal of Dental Education, 2015 Jun, 79(6):697-704.
15. Renne WG, Linder A, Mennito AS, Agee KA, Pashley DH, Willett D, Sentelle D, Defee M, Schmidt M, Sabatini C. Antibacterial Properties of Copper Iodide-Doped Glass Ionomer-based Materials and Effect of Copper Iodide Nanoparticles on Collagen Degradation. Clin Oral Investig. 2016. March 28 [Epub ahead of print].
16. Renne W1, Ludlow M2, Fryml J3, Schurch Z3, Mennito A2, Kessler R2, Lauer A4. Evaluation of the accuracy of 7 digital scanners: An in vitro analysis based on 3- dimensional comparisons.J Prosthet Dent. 2016 Dec 23. pii: S0022-3913(16)30514-5. doi: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2016.09.024. [Epub ahead of print]
17. Hamil L, Renne W. Southeast Case Research Association Journal. 2017 ” My teeth are slowly killing me”.
18.Ludlow M, Renne W. Digital Workflow in Implant Dentistry. Current Oral Health Reports. June 2017, Vol 4, Issue 2 (131-135)
19.WalterG.Renne*, ZacharyP.Evans,AnthonyMennito,MarkLudlow.Anovel technique for reference point generation to aid in intraoral scan alignment. The Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2017 Jun 27. doi: 10.1111/jerd.12316. [Epub ahead of print]
20.Mark Ludlow DMDa, MS Walter Renne; DMD, Digital workflow in implant dentistry: Decisions In Dentistry: A Peer Reviewed Journal. July 2017, Volume 3, Number 7 pages 13-17.
21. Adi AlGhanem, Gabriela Fernandez, Michelle Visser, Rosemary Dziak, Walter Renne, and Camila Sabatini; Bond Degradation and Biocompatibility of Poly- Acrylic Acid Coated Copper Iodide- Adhesives; Dental Materials.September 2017Volume 33, Issue 9, Pages e336–e347
- Evans ZP, Renne WG, Bacro TR, Mennito AS, Ludlow ME, Lecholop MKAnatomic Customization of Root-Analog Dental Implants With Cone-Beam CT and CAD/CAM Fabrication: A Cadaver-Based Pilot Evaluation. J Oral Implantol. 2018 Feb;44(1):15-26. doi: 10.1563/aaid-joi-D-17-00090. Epub 2017 Oct 24.
- Mennito AS, Evans ZP, Lauer AW, Patel RB, Ludlow ME, Renne WG. Evaluation of the effect scan pattern has on the trueness and precision of six intraoral digital impression systems.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2018 Mar;30(2):113-118. doi: 10.1111/ jerd.12371. Epub 2018 Feb 24.
24.Evaluation of removable dental prosthesis frameworks fabricated using three different techniques. Irving Tregermana, DDS, Walter Renne,b*, DMD, Dalton Wilsona, DDS (Accepted for publication in the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry for 2019) J Prosthet Dent. 2019 Apr 1. pii: S0022-3913(18)31010-2. doi: 10.1016/ j.prosdent.2018.10.013
25. Chris Bocklette, Walter Renne, Anthony Mennito, Mark Ludlow, Zach Evans, Therry Bacro, Jansen Nash: Effect of scan substrates on accuracy of 7 intraoral digital impression systems using human maxilla model” Orthod Craniofac Res. 2019 May;22 Suppl 1:168-174. doi: 10.1111/ocr.12273.
26.Brenes C, Renne W. Guided soft-tissue emergence profile techniques using CAD/CAM technologies: Multiple case reports. J Oral Science Rehabilitation. 2018 Dec;4(4):08–16.
27.Evaluation of the effect that scan pattern has on complete arch impressions using four digital impression systems. Jason Lathima, DMD, Mark Ludlowb, MS, DMD, Anthony Mennitob, DMD,eAbigail Lauerc, MS, Zachary Evansd, DMD, PHD, Walter Renne *e, DMD. J Prosthet Dent. 2020 Jan;123(1):85-95. doi: 10.1016/ j.prosdent.2019.02.008. Epub 2019 Apr 12
28.Fundamentals of CAD/CAM Dentistry by Jonathan Ferencz and Nelson Silva I authored the chapter on Digital Dentistry in Education.
29. Evans ZP, Renne WG, Bacro TR, Mennito AS, Ludlow ME, Lecholop MK. Anatomic Customization of Root-Analog Dental Implants With Cone-Beam CT and CAD/CAM Fabrication: A Cadaver-Based Pilot Evaluation.
J Oral Implantol. 2018 Feb;44(1):15-26. doi: 10.1563/aaid-joi-D-17-00090. Epub 2017 Oct 24.
30.Evaluation of the trueness and precision of complete arch digital impressions on a human maxilla using 7 different intraoral digital impression systems and a laboratory scanner.” by Mennito, Anthony; Evans, Zachary ; Nash, Jansen; Bocklet, Christopher; Lauer, Abigail; Bacro, Thierry; Cayouette, Monica ; Ludlow, Mark; Renne, Walter Accepted for Publication in the Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry
31. Anthony Mennitoa, DMD, Michael Schmidtb, PHD, Andrew Lanec ,BS, DMD, Abigail Kellyd, MS, Zachary Evans, DMD, PHD, Camila Sabatini, DMD, Walter Renne *g, DMD. Copper Iodide nanoparticle doped adhesive resins prevent decay in an in-vitro caries model. Journal of Operative Dentistry in Peer review
32. Gabriela Fernandes, Walter Renne, Michelle Visser, and Camila Sabatini. ESTERASE INHIBITION AND COPPER RELEASE FROM COPPER IODIDE DENTAL ADHESIVES – AN IN VITRO STUDY” Gabriela Fernandes, Walter Renne, Michelle Visser, and Camila Sabatini. (Peer Review in Journal of Operative dentistry)
33. Davis, Discolo, Patel, Renne, Katie. The Utility of 3D Imaging and Virtual Planning in Nasoalveolar Molding Appliances for Cleft Palate Babies” The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. In peer review
- Ethan Dutton, Mark Ludlow, MS, DMD,b Anthony Mennito, DMD,c Abigail Kelly,MS,d Zachary Evans, DMD, PHD,e Alexander Culp, DMD, RaymondKessler, DMD, and Walter Renne, DMDfJ Esthet Restor Dent. 2019 Sep 30. doi:10.1111/jerd.12528. [Epub ahead of print]
- A Novel Method for Complex Three Dimensional Evaluation of Intraoral ScannerAccuracy János Vág1, Zsolt Nagy1, Botond Simon1, Ákos Mikolicz1, Evelin Kövér1, Anthony Mennito2, Zachary Evans3, Walter Renne2 Int J Comput Dent. 2019;22(3):239-249.
- Mennito AS, Evans ZP, Nash J, Bocklet C, Lauer Kelly A, Bacro T, Cayouette M, Ludlow M, Renne WG. Evaluation of the trueness and precision of complete arch digital impressions on a human maxilla using seven different intraoral digital impression systems and a laboratory scanner. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2019Jul;31(4):369-377. doi: 10.1111/jerd.12485. Epub 2019 May 6. PMID: 31058428.
- Bocklet C, Renne W, Mennito A, Bacro T, Latham J, Evans Z, Ludlow M, Kelly A, Nash J. Effect of scan substrates on accuracy of 7 intraoral digital impression systems using human maxilla model. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2019 May;22 Suppl 1:168-174. doi: 10.1111/ocr.12273. PMID: 31074138.
- Brenes C, Renne W, Tolbert T, Fantaski L. Effect of Print Angulation on Surface Roughness of 3D-Printed Models. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2020 Nov;41(10):e1-e4. PMID: 33350846.
39. Vág J, Nagy Z, Bocklet C, Kiss T, Nagy Á, Simon B, Mikolicz Á, Renne W. Marginal and internal fit of full ceramic crowns milled using CADCAM systems on cadaver full arch scans. BMC Oral Health. 2020 Jul 6;20(1):189. doi: 10.1186/ s12903-020-01181-9. PMID: 32631333; PMCID: PMC7339429.
40. Nagy Z, Simon B, Mennito A, Evans Z, Renne W, Vág J. Comparing the trueness of seven intraoral scanners and a physical impression on dentate human maxilla by a novel method. BMC Oral Health. 2020 Apr 7;20(1):97. doi: 10.1186/s12903-020-01090-x. PMID: 32264943; PMCID: PMC7137345.
41. Renne W, Revell G, Teich S. The digital denture replication method (DRM): a simplified method to fabricate a complete removable prosthesis. Quintessence Int. 2020;51(10):838-843. doi: 10.3290/j.qi.a45267. PMID: 32954391.
42. Ravenel TD, Kessler R, Comisi JC, Kelly A, Renne WG, Teich ST. Evaluation of the spatter-reduction effectiveness and aerosol containment of eight dry-field isolation techniques. Quintessence Int. 2020;51(8):660-670. doi: 10.3290/ j.qi.a44919. PMID: 32661521.
43.Fernandes G, Renné WG, Visser MB, Sabatini C. Esterase Inhibition and Copper Release from Copper Iodide Dental Adhesives – An In Vitro Study. J Adhes Dent. 2020;22(3):265-274. doi: 10.3290/j.jad.a44550. PMID: 32435767.
- Latham J, Ludlow M, Mennito A, Kelly A, Evans Z, Renne W. Effect of scan pattern on complete-arch scans with 4 digital scanners. J Prosthet Dent. 2020 Jan;123(1):85-95. doi: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2019.02.008. Epub 2019 Apr 12. PMID: 30982616.
- Comisi JC, Ravenel TD, Kelly A, Teich ST, Renne W. Aerosol and spatter mitigation in dentistry: Analysis of the effectiveness of 13 setups. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2021 Feb 1. doi: 10.1111/jerd.12717. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33522677.
46. Vág J, Renne W, Revell G, Ludlow M, Mennito A, Teich ST, Gutmacher Z. The effect of software updates on the trueness and precision of intraoral scanners. Quintessence Int. 2021 Mar 22;0(0):0. doi: 10.3290/j.qi.b1098315. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33749223.
2018 Judson C. Hickey Scientific Writing Award in the Research category 2020 Judson C. Hickey Scientific Writing Award in the Research category
Professional research poster presentations
- Jillian L. Byrd, MS, Walter G. Renne. Erroneous to Veracious: How Forensic Odontologists of the Future Can Help Shift Paradigms of the Past. Thomas P. Hinman Dental Meeting 2012
- R.DavidSentelleandMichaelDeFee,WalterG.Renne:GenerationofNovel Dental Adhesives Infused with Copper Nanoparticles Yield Antimicrobial Bonds. Thomas P. Hinman Dental Meeting 2013
- Evaluation of the self-assessment software E4D Compare to evaluate wax crowns in dental morphology. Richard A. McKinney, Yianne G. Kristzas, Walter G. Renne. American Dental Association (ADA) Annual Session 2014:
- BacteriocidalCopperIodideAdhesiveResins,Renne,W;Mennito,2013 International Congress of Adhesive Dentistry
- Lossofdrymassfrommineralized,acid-etchedmineralizedandcompletely demineralized dentin beams, Brackett MS, Brackett WW, Renne W, Furman R, Agee KA, Tay FR, Pashley DH, IADR 2014
- JasonMacik,WalterG.Renne;MicroComputedTomography(uCT)Analysis of Composite Void Volume at the Dentin-Composite Interface and Factors Mitigating Void Inclusions: SCDA 2015
- Jon Fryml & Zach Schurch, Walter G. Renne; Scanning Accuracy and Precision in Seven Intraoral Scanners. Thomas P. Hinman Dental Meeting 2016
- Sarah Beth Ray & Miles Ware, Walter G. Renne. Assessing the Potential of
3D Imaging and Computer Aided Design – Computer Aided Manufacturing in Treatment of Cleft Palate Patients. Renne. Thomas P. Hinman Dental Meeting 2016
9. 3DImagingforFacialProstheses.TimmonsR;WareM;TuckerJR;RenneW; Davis BK. American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthodontics (AAMP) annual meeting 2016:
Publications in other journals
- U.S.Edition•Vol.1•Issue1/2011CAD/CAMtheinternationalmagazineof digital dentistryTechnology in the dental curriculum; Richard Callan, DMD and Walter Renne, DMD
- NorthAmericaEdition•Vol.1•Issue1/2012CAD/CAMtheinternational magazine of digital dentistry E4D chairside CAD/CAM restorations: Case presentations and lessons learned Wally Renne, DMD
- HowtoimplementCAD/CAMintoyourpracticeDentalProducts Report2012-08 |Dr. Walter Renne, DMD
- DentaltownMagazine-November2013TheNewEvolutionofCharisideCAD/ CAM Technology Dr. Walter Renne
- NorthAmericaEdition•Vol.3•Issue1/2013CAD/CAMtheinternational magazine of digital dentistry Restoring implants using lithium-disilicate, CAD/ CAM fabricated Restorations.Walter G. Renne, DMD
- WalterG.Renne,Digitalrestorativeveneers:Functionalandesthetic outcome achieved CAD/CAM the international magazine of digital dentistry; North America Edition • Vol. 6 • Issue 2/2016
Grants and Donations
- COBREGrant84474-10:Aprojecttodevelopanovelantimicrobial bonding agent and glass ionomer system through the synthesis and incorporation of PAA CuI nanoparticles into dental materials. Award amount 30K , Award date: 2011 Principle Investigator: Walter G Renne
- UnrestrictedequipmentdonationfromScheinforCAD/CAMandEsthetic Clinic. Award Value 1.7 Million , Award date 2014
- UnrestrictedequipmentdonationfromSironaDentalforCAD/CAMand Esthetic Clinic. Award Value 700K, Award date 2014
- NIH/NIDCR;$211,441;NovelDentalAdhesivestoPreventRecurrent Caries; 03.15.16; 1 Grant number: R41 DE026085-01 Principle Investigator: Walter G Renne 2016-2017
- SouthCarolinaResearchAuthority;$50,000;STTRPhaseIMatching Award; 07.11.16 Principle Investigator: Walter G Renne 2016-2017
- NIH/NCATS;($amountTBDbyteam-therewerenumerousvouchers); Developing an in vitro S. mutans caries model for evaluation of the efficacy of anticaries dental materials; 15/ 07/31-2016/07/30; UL1 TR000062 through South Carolina Clinical and Translational Research Institute Principle Investigator: Walter G Renne, 2016-2017
- CDMScholarsgrantfortheprojecttitled“3DprintedSurgicalGuideswith custom designed 3D printed Internally irrigated cooling canals for
temperature reduction during osteotomy preparationGRANTEE: Walter Renne, Zach Evans GRANT YEAR: 2018-2019
Patents and intellectual contributions to MUSC
1) Issued Patent : US Patent Number 9,034,354 B2 Renne et al. May 19th 2015
NOVEL BACTERIOSTATIC AND ANTI-COLLAGENOLYTIC DENTAL MATERIALS THROUGH THE INCORPORATION OF POLYACRYLIC ACID MODIFIED CuQ NANOPARTICLES
SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION
The present invention renders any resin based dental adhesive or filling material permanently antimicrobial and anti-collagenolytic and renders the adhesive resistant to the major processes of adhesive failure: Bond degradation and destruction of the zone of resin inter-diffusion from bacterial proliferation and invasion and enzymatic degradation of the hybrid layer from endogenous enzymes. It is anticipated that the use of such adhesives will limit the recurrence of caries and failure of resin based composite restorations
2) Provisional Patent: Status, Applied For: P1561 Patient Specific 3D Printed Titanium Implants: 2016
Walter G. Renne, Anthony Mennito, Zachary Evans:
SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION
The present invention uses patient specific anatomy and bone density captured in CBCT data to extrapolate and fabricate a Computer Aided Designed implant that can be placed the day of tooth extraction.
3) Record of Invention: 2017 Patient specific 3D printed typodont teeth for OSCE examinations from 3D digital intra-oral impressions.
Summary of Invention:
We have developed a method for transferring real patient tooth specific clinical data to typodont teeth. By replicating patient specific defects and clinical cases, radiographs and clinical photographs will translate perfectly to the replicated 3D printed or milled typodont tooth allowing for students to have more clinically significant practice and examinations. Realistic replication and standardization of patient specific dental clinical scenarios for the purposes of patient based simulation examinations and objective structured clinical examinations is an area of great interest to many typodont companies.
Record of Invention: 2018 Internally Irrigated surgical guides for custom cooling during implant surgery.
Summary of Invention
Custom irrigation channels
can be added within the
guide with attachment
entrance ports to route
tubing and irrigation through
the guide to ejection ports around the drilling site. The irrigation tube can also be on the surface of the guide rather than through the internal aspect of the guide, or it can traverse both.
Record of Invention: 2018 Tissue Barb Membrane Suture
Summary of Invention
We present a faster and easier option for site closure, protection and stability.
he first part of the invention is a restorable pad that has tissue barbs with allow for adhesion of the pad to the tissue without dislodgment for a given time until the barbs biodisolve. The tissue barb pad is attached and then the membrane is stretched
across the defect and theopposite barb pad is secured in the tissue. Image not to scale, and the descriptions of the objects are listed below.
Here you can see rather than many thin sutures and a separate membrane to close the site,
a barbed ribbon membrane is used to cover and protect the site.
Development and Implementation of Computer Assisted Learning software: Objective assessment software now used at over 20 dental schools. Development of Objective Structured Clinical Examinations: OSCE examinations for clinical dental courses are becoming the gold standard. Implementation of Digital Badges: Digital badges track competences and incentivize students to practice outside of class time.
Development of the Fully Integrated Digital Curriculum: Digital dentistry integrated across all 4 years of education.
Flipped Classroom: Created online modules to teach the basics so in class time can be focused on critical thinking and advanced concepts.
Professional Presentations Regional
2009: Guest Lecturer, Orangeburg study club: Introduction to CAD/CAM technology
2009:Guest Lecturer, Beaufort study club: Introduction to CAD/CAM technology
2010: Guest Lecturer, Spartanburg study club: Introduction to CAD/CAM technology
2010: Guest Lecturer, Charleston study club: Introduction to CAD/CAM technology
2010: Guest Lecturer, MUSC CE: Ceramics, What is this stuff?
2010: Guest Lecturer, MUSC CE: E4D scanning principles
2010: Guest Lecturer, MUSC CE: Advancements in CAD/CAM technology and Bonding
2010:Guest Lecturer, MUSC CE: Posterior Design Elements Using the E4D System
2010: Guest Lecturer: Southern Deans Conference “The Ideal CAD/CAM Tooth Preparation”
2011: Guest Lecturer, Charlotte NC, Advancements in CAD/CAM technology 2011: Guest Lecturer, Savannah GA, Costal District Meeting, Advancements in CAD/ CAM technology
2011: Guest Lecturer, SCDA Annual Meeting Myrtle Beach SC, Advancements in CAD/CAM technology
2011: Guest Lecturer, SCDA Costal District Meeting Advancements in Adhesive Dentistry
2011: Guest Lecturer, MUSC Alumni Charleston SC, Advancements in Dentin Bonding
2011: Guest Lecturer, SCDA central District Meeting Columbia SC, Advancements in Composite Resin and Adhesive Dentistry
2012: Hands on course MUSC Alumni Charleston SC, “What’s new with Dental Resins”
2012: Keynote speaker at SCDA annual meeting titled” Digital dentistry and Ceramic technology”
2012: Keynote speaker at SCDA annual meeting titled” Hands on with the E4D system”
2012: Spartanburg Study Club: Adhesive dentistry
2014 Florence study club “Digital Dentistry Update”
2012: Columbia: Hands on with CAD/CAM Dentistry
2013: American College of Dentists: 2 day Keynote speaker on “Dentin Bonding and CAD/CAM dentistry”
2013: Cleveland Ohio Schein Expo: Adhesive Dentistry and using Modern Ceramics for conservative dentistry.
2014 Greater Columbia study club, “CAD/CAM technology at MUSC” 2014 Myrtle Beach study club, “CAD/CAM technology at MUSC” 2014 Beaufort Study Club “modern adhesive dentistry”
2014 Florence study club “New CAD/CAM technology”
2015 “Modern Ceramics and Digital Dentistry” Harrisonburg Virginia 2015 South Carolina Central district meeting keynote speaker 2015: CITA national boards meeting: Update on Computer Assisted Assessment
2016 Beaufort Study Club “Digital Dentisty”
2016 “Digital Adhesion Bridges” Columbia SC
2016 Spartanburg SC Study Club: “What’s new with digital dentistry” 2017 Charlotte NC Study Club: “The Fully Digital Dental Practice” 2017 OHSU Oregon: “The Fully Integrated Digital Curriculum.”
2017 LSU: “Critical Thinking, OSCE’s and Computer Assisted Learning”
2017 The Power of Digital Impressions
2017 Charleston Study Club: How to Implement Digital Technology 2018 Spartanburg Study Club “Beyond Digital Impressions”
• 2011:“What is new with Power Point” MUSC APPLE TREE
• 2012:“Reaching Today’s Learner With iOS6 and iBooks Author” MUSC
• 2012:“Presentation Zen design principles” MUSC APPLE TREE
• 2012:“Presentation Zen design principles” MUSC APPLE TREE
lecture on engaging students with digital handouts.
• 2014:“Presentation Zen design principles” MUSC APPLE TREE
• 2016:MUSCDigitalDentistry,Topinthenation:MUSCBoardofTrustees • 2017:SummerSeriesoneffectiveteaching:EducationCenter/LibraryRm
405 Habits of Highly Effective Teachers: Use of Technology
utilizing E4D compare technology:
Students Through 3-D Tools and Innovative Presentations
• 2013:ADEAnationalmeetingSeattleWashington,”ComputerizedSelf -Assessment Tools used at MUSC”
• 2013:BusinessofDentistryMeeting:LasVegas:Keynotespeaker:”evolution of CAD/CAM technology”
• 2014:ADEAnationalmeetingSeattleWashington,”ComputerizedSelf Assessment Tools used at MUSC
• 2015: Mastering one visit Dentistry: Hands on with Digital Dentistry:
Anterior Esthetics and Adhesive Ceramic Restorations. Hosted at
• 2016:DentalEducatorssymposiumondigitaldentistry.HostedatMUSC • 2016:ThefullydigitalpracticeDallasTexas
• 2016: Advancements of Digital Dentistry: Honolulu Hawaii
• 2017: ADEA California, “The fully Integrated Digital Curriculum”
Deans and Examiners expanded to a National Meeting: Factors and Trends Impacting the Future of Dental Education, Licensure, and Practice
Technology in Dental School Curriculum (California)
• 2013:internationalcongressofadhesivedentistry:GenerationofaNovel antimicrobial and anti-collagenolytic adhesive resin
• 2014:TheInternationalsymposiumofDigitalDentistry.“CAD/CAMasa teaching tool in pre-doctoral education” Orlando Florida
• 2016: Nordic Institute of Continuing Dental Education Helsinki Finland: 2 day hands on course: Implant guided surgery in romexis and multiple unit anterior restorations with Planscan,
• 2017:KotoJapan:PatientbasedexaminationsandtheObjective Structured Clinical Examination: translating real patient information to the typodont.
• 2017:NordicInstituteofContinuingDentalEducationHelsinkiFinland:2 day hands on implant guided surgery Sept 5-6
• 2017:UniversityifTurkuCollegeofDentalMedicineinTurkuFinland: The Fully Integrated Digital Dentistry Curriculum
• 2017:NordicInstituteofContinuingDentalEducationHelsinkiFinland:2 day Anterior Esthetic Digital Restorations.Sept 8-9
2018 Nordic Institute of Dental Education Helsinki Finland “Hands on with Surgical Guides and Veneers”
2018 “Internally Irrigated Surgical Guides and Presurgical Prosthetics” Lisbon Portugal “European Society of Esthetic Dentistry)
2018 “Digirtal hybrid prosthetics and guided implant surgery: European Association of Osseointegration Vienna Austira.
2019 Cologn Germany IDS : Augmented reality smile design and 3D printing in dentistry
Television Presentations (and other media):
“Dentistry Uncensored with Howard Farran” Dental Town Pod Cast (September 2017)
“The Conservative Ceramic Restoration” Learn Digital Dentistry Webinar (available online 2016-present)
Learn Digital Dentistry Online CE program: The Digital Inlay,Onlay and Crownlay explored (CE credits 2) (available online 2016-present)
Dental Town Online CE Program: The New Evolution of Chairside CAD/CAM Technology (CE Credits 1.5hrs) (available online 2013-present)
Featured with Gordon Christenson on the Show “Innovations with Ed Begley
Jr.” CAD/CAM technology segment
2008-present 2008-present 2013-present 2013-present 2014-present 2015-present 2015-present 2016-Present 2016-present
Omicron Kappa Epsilon National Dental Honorary Society American Dental Education Association
South Carolina Dental Association
American Dental Association
Academic Alliance Member American College of Prosthodontics American College of Dentists
Carolinas Section ACD
National Academy of Inventors Pierre Fauchard Academy
COMMITTEES SERVED * denotes University wide committee or national committee
- 2008 -2011
- 2008 -Present
- 2008 -Present
- 2008 -Present
- 2008 -Present
- 2008 -Present
- 2009 -2013
- 2011 -Present
- 2012- present
- 2012- present
- 2013 -present
Deans Minutes Keeper
Member, Electronic Health Records Committee Member, University Education Infrastructure Committee* Member, Dental Faculty Practice Action Team
Member, CDM Research Committee
Member of Curriculum Committee
Member, Secretary / Treasurer OKU
Member, University Moodle Implementation Committee* Apple Tree Steering committee.*
MUSC Technology / Innovation operations team Leadership Institute for Teaching (LIFT)*
Strategic Plan Implementation Committee for Technology and
University Goal Team for Innovative Education and Learning* Chair of the CAD/CAM Technology Committee
Vice Chair of the Curriculum Committee
MUSC 2020 Classroom initiative*
ACP Digital Curriculum Development * ACP Digital Dentistry Mentor *
Faculty and Staff Development Committee Clinical Materials Review Committee Deans Leadership Council
Clinical and Translational Research Action Committee University 3D Printing Task Force
University Augmented and Virtual Reality Task Force
Journal Review Team Member
2009 -Present 2010 -Present 2010 -Present 2012 -Present
2015: Guest Editor: Dental Town Magazine
2016-Present Editorial Review Board: Inside Dentistry
University Service and Donations
2014: Unrestricted equipment donation from Schein for CAD/CAM and Esthetic Clinic. Award Value 1.7 Million , Award date 2014
Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Journal of Operative Dentistry
Journal of Dental Education
2014: Unrestricted equipment donation from Sirona Dental for CAD/CAM and Esthetic Clinic. Award Value 700K, Award date 2014
2018: Planmeca Promax CBCT and 3 Mills and 3 Scanners (500K)
2018: dental simulator robot( 250K)
2019: Denmat Laser (6k)
2019: Sisma metal primnter (280K)
2019: Sprintray pro Resin Printers (50K)
2019: Medit i500 Scanner (20K)
2019: 75 licenses of romexis 3D software with surgical guide (500K) 2019-2021: Schein Donation (300K) equipment donation
2019:Creo C5 3d Printer (10K)
2019: Two iTero Element systems to Ortho (30K )
2013 ADCFP Mentor: Academic Dental Careers Fellowship Program sponsored by ADEA
Student research mentorship:
|Title of Project Students|
|1) Bisphenol-A Release from composite resins and its toxic effects on the human body||Len Fiume & Seay Walker, Walter G. Renne|
|2) Instrinsic Intuitiveness of E4D vs CEREC Software Systems||Elizabeth Cranford & Ashley Eith, Walter G. Renne|
|3) Bis-Acryl vs. Polymethyl Methacrylate Provisional Restorations||Spence Gibbs & David Reynolds, Walter G. Renne|
|4) Nanocomposites in Dentistry||Adam Blumer & Drew Krena, Walter G. Renne|
|5) Compression Strength of Cemented Nick Ruggiero & David Bodie, Walter vs. Bonded Lithium Disilicate G. Renne|
|6) Smile Preferences Among South Carolina Adults||Ava Cherry and Danielle Gill, Walter G. Renne|
|7) Comparison of Marginal Gap Between Two Chairside CAD/CAM Systems Using the Replica Technique||Kaitlin Forshee, Walter G. Renne|
|8) Erroneous to Veracious: How Forensic Odontologists of the Future Can Help Shift Paradigms of the Past||Jillian L. Byrd, MS, Walter G. Renne|
|9) Stated Milling Times vs Actual Milling Times for Full Coverage All Ceramic Crowns on the CEREC and E4D Systems||Cason Thomas Hund, Walter G. Renne|
|10) Amalgam Fillings: A Survey of the General Public||Lindsay Cash and Alison Llewelyn, Walter G. Renne|
|11) Reversal of Residual Soft Tissue Anesthesia: Phentolamine Mesylate||Andrea Carrieri & Marie Cross, Walter G. Renne|
|12) Amalgam vs. Composite; which performs better for posterior restorations?||Elizabeth Saunders Burgess, Walter G. Renne|
|13) Evaluating the Degree of Marginal Misfit: Cerec vs. E4D Ceramic Crowns||Jay Sibal and Bin Wellman, Walter G. Renne|
|14) CTX Values and Their Predictability for Implant Success||Josh Gonzalez & Neal Patel, Walter G. Renne|
|15) Zirconium restorations effect on natural Dentition||Jake Wood and Sid Sehgal, Walter G. Renne|
|16) Comparison of New Technology Against Intra-Rater Reliability of Three Faculty for the Accuracy of Evaluation of Student Wax-Up Crowns||Yianne Kritzas and Adam McKinney, Walter G. Renne|
|17) The Use of Computer Software to Grade Crown Preparations in Preclinical Dental Education||Mary Melody Dawson & Lawrence Robert Fischer, Jr., Walter G. Renne|
|18) Peace, Love, & Probiotics: Can probiotics help to sustain a harmonious balance of the oral flora and be beneficial in maintaining oral health?||Kerri Lynne DeVita & Joanna Hanlon Cornelius, Walter G. Renne|
|19) Generation of Novel Dental Adhesives Infused with Copper Nanoparticles Yield Antimicrobial Bonds||R. David Sentelle and Michael DeFee, Walter G. Renne|
|20) E4D versus Faculty Assessment of Operative I Class I Preparations||Rebecca Harrison & Mary Kate James, Walter G. Renne|
|21) Accuracy of Hydrophilic vs. Hydrophobic Impression Materials Using CAD/CAM compare Software||Brett Henderson & Matthew Johnson|
|22)Old School vs New School||Kip Katseanes & Jared Tavernier, Walter G. Renne|
|23) Evaluation of the Accuracy of Automatic Articulation in Maximum Intercuspal Position Using E4D NEVO Software||Marshall Jewett & Mark Waninger, Walter G. Renne|
|24) In Vivo Fabrication of an RPD metal framework using the E4D Nevo Camera and 3Shape Design Software||Keaton Forrester & Gerry George, Walter G. Renne|
|25) Evaluating Load to Failure Strength of CAD/CAM Designed and Milled Endo Crowns||Daniel Hall & William Stewart, Walter G. Renne|
|26) Evaluating the Similarity between Cerec 4.2 Software Virtual Articulation and Mounted Models in Centric Stops and Lateral Movements: A Case Study||Phillip Coker & Derek Griffith, Walter G. Renne|
|27) Predicting Marginal Fit of CAD/ CAM Crowns Based On The Presence or Absence of Common Preparation Errors Detected Using CEREC Omnicam||Spencer Coomb & Matt Keckeisen, Walter G. Renne|
|28) MMP Inhibition in a Novel Bactericidal Dental Adhesive||Rick Furman & Dallas Kunkel, Walter G. Renne|
|29) Mechanisms of Bisphosphonate Induced Osteonecrosis of the Jaw and the Implications on Proposed Treatments||Chris Farish & Andrew Ponton, Walter G. Renne|
|30) The Role of Cathepsin K in Collagen Degradation in Dentin||Lauren Kight & Haley Lindner, Walter G. Renne|
|31) Literature Review on Efficacy of Full Zirconium Crowns||Jared Earl & Jordan Hood, Walter G. Renne|
|32) Predicting Marginal Fit of CAD/ CAM Crowns Based on Preparation Quality Using E4D NEVO Technology||Bryn Allen & Joshua Crank, Walter G. Renne|
|33) Milling Time or Killing Seconds?||Austin Abellana & Jordan Berry, Walter G. Renne|
|34) Micro Computed Tomography (uCT) Analysis of Composite Void Volume at the Dentin-Composite Interface and Factors Mitigating Void Inclusions||Jason Macik, Walter G. Renne|
|35) Er,Cr:YSGG Lasers Benefits to Bonding Modern Restorations||Robert Lee & Philip Melchers, Walter G. Renne|
|36) Root Analog Milled Zirconium Implants (Master’s Thesis)||Zachary Evans, Walter Renne|
|37) The Efficacy of 7th Generation Bonding Agents Compared to Older Generations in Dentin Bonding||Jon Chay, Walter G. Renne|
|38) Measurement of Marginal Misfit via Cone-Beam Computed Tomagraphy of IPS e.max Crowns with Regular Milled PlanScan, Detail Mode PlanScan, and Heat Pressed Laboratory Method||Scott Reid & Matt Rice, Walter G. Renne|
|39) Assessing the Potential of 3D Imaging and Computer Aided Design – Computer Aided Manufacturing in Treatment of Cleft Palate Patients||Sarah Beth Ray & Miles Ware, Walter G. Renne|
|40) Scanning Accuracy and Precision in Seven Intraoral Scanners||Jon Fryml & Zach Schurch, Walter G. Renne|
|41) Choosing the Best Implant Restoration: Computer-Aided Design/ Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAD/ CAM) vs. Conventional Fixed Prosthesis||Ronnetta Sartor & Joshlyn Wilson, Walter G. Renne|
|42) Bracket position movement during placement waiting- a metrology study using 3D measuring and scanning (Master’s Thesis )||Blackman, Renne|
|43) Bis-Acryl vs. Methyl Methacrylate Provisional Restorations||Clinton Butler, III & Christopher Hillman, Walter G. Renne|
|44) Influence of Preparation Variables on Internal and Marginal Fit of CAD/ CAM Restorations: A Literature Review||Ian Alvey & Dylan Sobin, Walter G. Renne|
|45) Evaluating the Fit of Three Removable Dental Prostheses Metal Frameworks Fabricated Conventionally versus Using a Digital Scanner (Co- Mentor with Dalton Wilson, DDS)||May Amria & Tanvi Patel, Walter G. Renne|
|46) Antimicrobial Effect of Copper/ Iodine Nanoparticles in OptiBond Solo||Ahmed Aldulaimi & Brandon Schmidt, Walter G. Renne|
|47) Antimicrobial Effect of Copper/ Iodine Nanoparticles in Gutta-Percha (Master’s Thesis)||Monica Rancort, Walter Renne, Michael Schmidt|
|48) Scan Accuracy of full arch digital impressions using 5 different scan patterns|
|Jason Latham , Walter G. Renne|
|49)Full arch scan accuracy of 7 digital impressions systems on a human Maxilla||Chris Bocklette and Jansen Nash , Walter G. Renne|
|50) internal and marginal gap of restorations fabricated using 3 different chariside CAD/CAM systems.||Michael Bocklette, Reid Bensch , Walter Renne|
|51) Antimicrobial Effect of Copper/ Iodine Nanoparticles in Mineral Trioxide Agregate (Master’s Thesis)||Craig Atchison , Walter G. Renne|
|52) Scan Accuracy of 7 different intraoral scanners on different substrates on a human maxilla.||Chris Bocklette and Jansen Nash (second place finish scholars day)|
|53) 3D printed surgical guides with custom designed 3D printed internally irrigated cooling canals for temperature reduction during osteotomy preparations||Michael Bocklet, Reid Bensch, Zachary Evans, Walter Renne|
|54) The effects of mA and scan time duration on digital model reproduction from CBCT scans of dentures||Todd Woolen, Jake Ayers, Zachary Evans, Walter G. Renne|
|55) Marginal fit of crowns fabricated on standardized dies using Omnicam MCXL||Matt Davis, Shan Khan, Walter Renne|
|56) Accuracy of Intraoral Scanners Based on Dental Restorative Materials.||Ethan Dutton, Matthew McKeeman, Walter G. Renne|
|52) MTA-CUI nanoparticle mixture impact on E. faecalis biofilm viability||Nikki Fischbach, Laura Jones, Michel Schmidt, Zachary Evans, Walter Renne|
Dr. Renne left a career as Professor and Dean of Innovation and Digital Dentistry at a major university to start his own training center. The MOD institute was founded to help dentists advance their clincal practice through leveraging 3D printing and technology. He is proficient clinically with the Planmeca Emerald S , CEREC Primescan, 3Shape Trios 5, and tests multiple new scanners. Dr. Renne has a passion for 3D printing and currently focuses his clinical , teaching and research efforts on advancing dentistry forward through the power of 3D printing. He has over 30 different 3D printers and he works closly with many manufactures to test the latest developments in resin technology. He is active in dental research with over 50 publications and currently has several patents and national teaching awards for his efforts.